We move forward from two successful exhibitions in 2016 in Prague and in the USA to the challenge of an exhibition in the Netherlands in the Autumn. We continue to work on A2 sized pieces in portrait format and will be producing four pieces over the year with the theme of 'Freedom'. An essential part of our art is working in series to a common format which does give us all a framework for our creative endeavours.

Wednesday, 31 July 2013

Nr. 3

In the nick of time! I have been working on my third quilt for 2013 for quite a long time. I found it difficult to work with the face, but in the end I am quite happy with it.

The middle part was done with a kind of photo transfer. I say kind of, because I copied the photo onto a transparency/ overhead sheet, planning on making a screen print. However, the ink did not dry so I just rubbed it off onto the fabric. This actually gave a lovely, if quite vague, image. Then I did the side parts using a flour resist. However this required quite rough handling which almost made all of the ink disappear. In the end I used fabric paints to recover the image and finished off with machine and hand stitching.

Tuesday, 16 July 2013

Pebbles 3

For this third piece I have used a different method of discharging and over dyeing to create the images of the pebbles before quilting and over colouring parts of the pebbles. All pebble pieces were based on  photos taken of the pebbles in the stream at the bottom of our garden at different times of the year in varying light conditions. In this piece I have tried to capture the strong sunlight illuminating both the river bed and the pebbles.

For this piece I have been experimenting with some pigment based soluble wax artists sticks to add additional colour on top of the original discharge pebble shape, I have found they can be fixed with heat or a watered down fabric medium - I used Golden.


Murky Waters

I just realized I forgot to do the third posting. I finished it for my final surface design class in April, and had forgotten about it.

I printed  and stenciled the leaves using natural dyes on an indigo ground, then I quilted around them. I have had a lot of fun using my leaf stamps. I hope to do more with the idea in the future.

Over the top I put a deep blue organza, and hand stitched in the textured pleates. This was too bright, so I got a dark green organza and put in the circles of the ripple.This shows in the second picture, but the colours are very different in real life. The camera sees through the layers almost better than the eye. In the end I got an A+ for the class, so I guess I should be happy.

Friday, 12 July 2013

Fantasy trees

For my 3rd quilt with this theme I decided on fantasy trees. Life can be boring and dull enough and some fantasy can be a treat :-). All fabrics used are hand dyed ones. Either done by me or by Kelly as I was staying at her place when I made this quilt.

Thursday, 4 July 2013


I am beginning to accumulate quite a number of scraps in my Indigo collection and this inspired me to make a crazy quilt. What fun I had- it was hard to stop! It is traditional to add a spider in it's web - I added a nice big hairy one!! The embroidery was a challenge as it isn't really my thing and I'm also a lefty but I had a go. the embellishments are from my collection and include bone, brass, steel, raffia, ostrich shell and glass beads.

Wednesday, 3 July 2013


Adinkrahene is one of the many Adinkra symbols from Ashanti region in Ghana.  All the symbols have meaning.  This is a symbol of greatness, charisma and leadership - not that it applies to me!  It is one of the most important Adinkra symbols and apparently the basis for many othersI have, of course, used it as it suits my circles theme.  But it also fills another need - of wanting to make some pieces based on Adinkra symbols. The three circles at the bottom have been stamped using a traditional calabash Adinkra stamp.



Tuesday, 2 July 2013

Bamboo III

One of my goals for my art quilting this year is to use color to add depth and perspective.  I believe this piece accomplishes that quite well.  I challenged myself to make this quilt using fabrics that I don't normally use in large quantities.  I used silk and polyester taffeta.  The "sky" piece behind the bamboo leaves is my own hand painted silk and the moon is my own photograph printed on silk (I love that moon photograph and use it often). It is interesting that I was finishing this piece during the most recent "super moon". 

I very much enjoyed working with the silk fabrics.  The taffeta, while gorgeous and shiny, was difficult to work with.  I'm glad I didn't try to make the entire quilt from taffeta, although I can see how it would make a fascinating whole-cloth quilt.  It really picks up dimension from machine quilting.

The "Bamboo Series" is revealing itself to me as a series about daydreams.  As I design these pieces, I realize how much that little bamboo plant has been a conduit for my creative thoughts and how much time I spend gazing through it at the scene outside my window and at the scenes developing inside my head!

Being a member of this talented Voyage group has been one of the best things that could have happened to me as an art quilter.  I am forced to get the ideas out of my head and into the tangible form of the art quilt.  Seeing the work of each artist is inspiring and leaves me awe-struck.  We are really beginning to gain insight into each others creative minds and lives!