2017

We move forward from two successful exhibitions in 2016 in Prague and in the USA to the challenge of an exhibition in the Netherlands in the Autumn. We continue to work on A2 sized pieces in portrait format and will be producing four pieces over the year with the theme of 'Freedom'. An essential part of our art is working in series to a common format which does give us all a framework for our creative endeavours.

Tuesday 2 July 2013

Bamboo III





One of my goals for my art quilting this year is to use color to add depth and perspective.  I believe this piece accomplishes that quite well.  I challenged myself to make this quilt using fabrics that I don't normally use in large quantities.  I used silk and polyester taffeta.  The "sky" piece behind the bamboo leaves is my own hand painted silk and the moon is my own photograph printed on silk (I love that moon photograph and use it often). It is interesting that I was finishing this piece during the most recent "super moon". 

I very much enjoyed working with the silk fabrics.  The taffeta, while gorgeous and shiny, was difficult to work with.  I'm glad I didn't try to make the entire quilt from taffeta, although I can see how it would make a fascinating whole-cloth quilt.  It really picks up dimension from machine quilting.

The "Bamboo Series" is revealing itself to me as a series about daydreams.  As I design these pieces, I realize how much that little bamboo plant has been a conduit for my creative thoughts and how much time I spend gazing through it at the scene outside my window and at the scenes developing inside my head!

Being a member of this talented Voyage group has been one of the best things that could have happened to me as an art quilter.  I am forced to get the ideas out of my head and into the tangible form of the art quilt.  Seeing the work of each artist is inspiring and leaves me awe-struck.  We are really beginning to gain insight into each others creative minds and lives!

Frances

1 comment:

  1. Well done for trying the poly taffeta - not an easy one to work with for sure! The perspective does work - looking into the distance to the moon.
    Your series is really going to look good together.

    ReplyDelete