2017

We move forward from two successful exhibitions in 2016 in Prague and in the USA to the challenge of an exhibition in the Netherlands in the Autumn. We continue to work on A2 sized pieces in portrait format and will be producing four pieces over the year with the theme of 'Freedom'. An essential part of our art is working in series to a common format which does give us all a framework for our creative endeavours.

Friday 21 February 2014

Earth's Amazing Wonders series - Piece one - Kelly L Hendrickson

Can you believe it!!!  My first piece done and it isn't even the end of FEBRUARY (which is a short month even!)

Antelope Canyon - Arizona USA

The Navajo sandstone making up the walls of the canyon have colors that are almost jewel-toned.  I wanted to add a bit of sky to break up the bright colors. It is a sight to behold...even though I've only seen photos. The flow of the stone is accentuated by the quilting lines. At first I thought this would be mind-numbing but I went with a more organic feel and just let them flow at will.  It ended up being quite therapeutic! I have not quilted this much on a quilt in ages.

The binding on this one was a bear!! After cutting it to size (yes....before thinking about the binding....) I realized that every piece I auditioned for the binding was a distraction. I asked around and got a few ideas but none of them turned out like I wanted for this piece.  Well....there was no way of avoiding it.  I had to do a pieced binding to keep the flow of the lines and colors. I've done pieced bindings before but none quite as complicated with all the angles and everything.  Anyway, it took most of today but it is done and (if I do say so myself) I think it looks GREAT!!

So, my first in the series of Earth's Amazing Wonders for Voyage 2014.

ANTELOPE  CANYON - ARIZONA USA

Sorry about the less-than-clear photo. My good camera is in the shop and I had to take this one with my phone.  I miss my camera.........:-((((((

1 comment: