2017

We move forward from two successful exhibitions in 2016 in Prague and in the USA to the challenge of an exhibition in the Netherlands in the Autumn. We continue to work on A2 sized pieces in portrait format and will be producing four pieces over the year with the theme of 'Freedom'. An essential part of our art is working in series to a common format which does give us all a framework for our creative endeavours.

Wednesday 19 February 2014

Morning Glory Pool, Yellowstone National Park

My first piece for 2014 is based on a photograph of Morning Glory Pool in Yellowstone Park, Wyoming (see below). 

In keeping with this year's theme of "Earth", each of my quilts will represent a place on this earth that has made a significant impression on me.  Instead of trying to just copy the image of each place in fabric, I will try to capture the impression of each place.

I was born and raised in southeastern Idaho, just 60 miles south of Yellowstone Park and 60 miles west of Jackson Hole, Wyoming.  Spectacular scenery was an everyday occurrence for me.  I was fortunate to visit Yellowstone Park two or three times each year.  My favorite sites in Yellowstone Park are the geyser basins.  Morning Glory pool always fascinated me.  The water is crystal clear and incredibly hot.  It seems that you can see through the water right down to the center of the earth.  The colorful pool looks so inviting, but as you step closer the radiated heat from the water pushes you away.  One can only safely observe from a distance.  Beauty can sometimes be very dangerous.

The blue pool is made of my own hand-felted material and a wonderful sparkly blue fabric that I stumbled across one day in JoAnn's Fabric.  I used a piece of my hand-painted silk for the first border around the pool.  I overlaid the fabric in the yellow area with organza "bubbles" to enhance the idea of water.  I hand embroidered French knots on the white strip and added a few crystals for some sparkle and interest.  I chose the bright orange and yellow fabric because it reminded me of the molten lava that is so close to the surface in Yellowstone Park. The little patches of green represent the plants of the forest that cannot live in close proximity to the hot pools.

Here is the photo I used as inspiration for my quilt:


Frances

1 comment:

  1. Morning Glory Pool such a beauty in its own right with its jewel colors and unearthly steam. The rainbow-hued water is ringed by white residue which despite harmful destruction over the years, still has a scallop-shape in a few spaces.

    ReplyDelete