2017

We move forward from two successful exhibitions in 2016 in Prague and in the USA to the challenge of an exhibition in the Netherlands in the Autumn. We continue to work on A2 sized pieces in portrait format and will be producing four pieces over the year with the theme of 'Freedom'. An essential part of our art is working in series to a common format which does give us all a framework for our creative endeavours.

Sunday 31 December 2017

"Saoirse" Freedom pieces

Kind of hard to believe that a whole year has passed and tomorrow 2018 begins. No doubt I'll be making lots of lists tomorrow in my shiny new 2108 diary, yearly goals, ongoing projects and deadlines but today I need to finish off 2017 commitments! So here I am with my Freedom pieces that just got finished yesterday.

My inspiration for this pieces is personal freedom, issues and obstacles that I have overcome over the years from living with conflict (in many forms), dealing with sexism and finding ways of dealing with gender bias, freedom from self imposed issues and freedom from financial worries.

I make a lot of quilts, all sizes, and there are only so many you can give away or store, so I thought I might try working on an old quilt and using that are the starting point for these pieces.

Four pieces together allowing original image to be seen
Please excuse the quality of the photo!

The original quilt is a combination of hand marbled fabrics and a paper lamination of an image I put together in Photoshop, a computer design program, with layers cut away in places to expose the underlying pattern.

"Saoirse 1"

"Saoirse 2"

"Saoirse 3"

"Saoirse 4"


I decided to use text and keep the additions simple to allow the main pieces to shine. "Saoirse" is Irish for "Freedom" and I used the word for freedom is many languages in white thread on white fabric.


1 comment:

  1. I would love to see these quilts in person, Paula. The detail is quite amazing. Freedom is never easily obtained, is it? I really like the effect of your layering.

    ReplyDelete