The idea came from a Reiki course I did in May, and we talked about the Chakras and their colours. I had been working with squares and triangles in my embroideries and wanted to continue that idea, but in a different way. When I plotted it out on paper (and I really never do this), it seemed to work great and I liked the result. I had this rich deep green rayon velvet that I got for another project that I wanted to use. I also wanted to incorporate the beads and some of my copper foil. So by the end of May, I knew what I wanted to do.
So I had the basic idea. Then the problems started. I wanted the coloured squares to have a metalic sheen to reflect the copper, but didn't know how to create this, and I would need 7 colours. This held me up for a long time, until I got to Vancouver, and thought of ribbon. I managed to find a shiny ribbon in all the colours I needed. Then I just had to figure out how to turn them into tiny 1 inch squares. I sewed the slippery ribbon over cardboard squares, and when I figured out how to do it on the bias, voila, it worked.
So, I basted on the basic gridand and started to attach the squaares onto the velvet. I hadn't wored with velvet for ages, and as a friend says, it creeps. Nothing stayed straight no matter how much I pinned, basted, or anything. So, instead of my very structured piece, I ended up with this. I am happy that I found foil in different colours, and the lurex threads were great. I think it will grow on me and I am sure that I will be MUCH looser in my next piece.
School is started, and we are working hard on pattern and design. I hope it helps in future work.