2017

We move forward from two successful exhibitions in 2016 in Prague and in the USA to the challenge of an exhibition in the Netherlands in the Autumn. We continue to work on A2 sized pieces in portrait format and will be producing four pieces over the year with the theme of 'Freedom'. An essential part of our art is working in series to a common format which does give us all a framework for our creative endeavours.

Tuesday 12 June 2012


Voyager No.3

"Taming Bridget Riley"


I am very pleased with this piece because it evolved very naturally. I was playing with my black and white fabrics and pieced the background. The checks and zig zags created such optical chaos, reminding me of Bridget Riley the 'Pop' artist of the 60's & 70's! Using a beautiful piece of purple and pink fabric I cut out the shapes and 'nailed' them down to try and tame the optical movement.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful. And so much more enjoyable knowing the process and the story! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I like Bridget Riley's stuff too - how cleverly you have developed the design Gretchen - the pink/purple fabric just makes it zing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you used the pink/purple shapes to push back the background. I am always fascinated by the way a new layer changes things! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really great piece. At first I thought it was one of Magie's using her Coral Tree fabric. Love the op art effect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it Gretchen. Having seen you start playing around when I was there it's fabulous to see it completed. To me - there seems to be an element of falling about the piece...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of the movement in this piece! The interplay of the different graphic designs of the cloth together with the pink/purple shapes really makes this piece dance. Wonderful design!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Full of lovely shapes which make it so interesting to look at. I think that using black and white fabric always adds a certain zing to a piece.

    ReplyDelete