2017

We move forward from two successful exhibitions in 2016 in Prague and in the USA to the challenge of an exhibition in the Netherlands in the Autumn. We continue to work on A2 sized pieces in portrait format and will be producing four pieces over the year with the theme of 'Freedom'. An essential part of our art is working in series to a common format which does give us all a framework for our creative endeavours.

Wednesday 11 September 2013

BAMBOO IV






As a photography student at the University of Arizona, I worked on a series of prints incorporating the interpretation of certain dreams.  I designed "Bamboo IV" with that thought in mind:  to create a piece with the interpretation of a dream of bamboo--which is essentially a good dream representing the strength and flexibility of the person associated with the bamboo, a good education, a long life and a full age.  Somehow, though, adding words to the quilt seemed to detract from the design and make it seem more like an illustration in a book rather than an idea.  I printed the picture of the head on fabric and happened to set it down on a piece of the red background fabric and the whole image just seemed to snap into view.  I must admit that I haven't yet dreamed of bamboo, which is strange considering all of the time I am spending thinking about bamboo, but I have caught myself daydreaming while I am looking at my bamboo plant.  The bamboo stalks are made from some Carol Bryer Fallert fabric that I embellished with Shiva sticks.  To be fully appreciated, this quilt should be seen in sunlight.  The colors are quite extraordinary!

Frances

1 comment:

  1. Rather scary looking, Frances! I've never had a bamboo dream either though we cut a lot down when we arrived in this house. I particularly like the quilting. Elaine.

    ReplyDelete