We move forward from two successful exhibitions in 2016 in Prague and in the USA to the challenge of an exhibition in the Netherlands in the Autumn. We continue to work on A2 sized pieces in portrait format and will be producing four pieces over the year with the theme of 'Freedom'. An essential part of our art is working in series to a common format which does give us all a framework for our creative endeavours.
Saturday, 28 April 2012
This is the fifth piece I have made in the last couple of months using this fern type shape.
I made the background from mostly hand dyed fabric, some of mine and some of Linda Kemshall's and a little commercial black and white which I curve pieced together.
Having drawn the five ferns in pencil on drawing paper to have an idea of placement,I free machine quilted them onto the pieced material backed with cotton wadding. I then painted the ferns with silver fabric paint. Adding more fmq in swirls and a zigzaggy sort of pattern, I highlighted some triangles with silver foil. Lastly I embroidered in seed stitch with a grey and a browny thread.
I used the pillow case method to add the backing as I knew the piece did not want a binding.
I have just had a two week exhibition, my first, here near Uzès and I took my sewing machine every day so that I could show visitors what I was doing. The background for Jurassic was assembled whilst there. Embroidery and quilting tends to be very traditional in this part of France, so I was amazed at the hugely positive response I received from people who had never seen anything contemporary before! I may even have made a some converts. I sold quite a few pieces and in all it was an amazing experience for me.