2017

We move forward from two successful exhibitions in 2016 in Prague and in the USA to the challenge of an exhibition in the Netherlands in the Autumn. We continue to work on A2 sized pieces in portrait format and will be producing four pieces over the year with the theme of 'Freedom'. An essential part of our art is working in series to a common format which does give us all a framework for our creative endeavours.

Wednesday 1 April 2015

Abstracted Nature Foxgloves - warm up piece


For my series this year I am using photographs from English gardens as a source for the design. The piece below is a trial  with materials and colours for the actual first piece which is almost complete.

I am working in silk this year - not really sure why as it is a very challenging material to stitch ( and to photograph well! )but I love the handle and the way it takes dye. 

The silk was coloured by painting a single colour dye directly on the surface, letting it dry, fixing it and then repeating the process with a second colour etc. I used Jaquard silk dyes. 

 I sketched the outlines of the foxgloves freehand with the sewing machine,  Given the slip nature of silk, it has been quite heavily quilted. As I do not usually use whole cloth pieces of silk in my work - this has been a good learning experience for the actual first series piece, based on a macro photo of a foxglove which I hope to finish soon.




Detailed piece  showing various coloured rayon threads



No comments:

Post a Comment