2017

We move forward from two successful exhibitions in 2016 in Prague and in the USA to the challenge of an exhibition in the Netherlands in the Autumn. We continue to work on A2 sized pieces in portrait format and will be producing four pieces over the year with the theme of 'Freedom'. An essential part of our art is working in series to a common format which does give us all a framework for our creative endeavours.

Friday 20 June 2014

GRAND TETON PEAKS FROM THE IDAHO SIDE (Driggs, Idaho)



Detail View

Full View


 I grew up in southeastern Idaho in the United States just 60 miles west of Grand Teton National Park.  The Teton Peaks are a constant part of the landscape of southeastern Idaho and western Wyoming.  We saw the Tetons nearly every day, and trips to Jackson Hole, Wyoming and Grand Teton National Park were regular occurrences.  The Grand Teton Peak rises 13,775 feet above sea level and 6,530 feet above the Jackson Hole valley.  The peaks dominate the landscape and when I see them I can never seem to take my eyes off of them.  It appears to me that the Tetons are always ready to disappear into mist--like Brigadoon.  They never really seem to be solidly in front of me.  It is an old legend that a mysterious race of people lives inside of the Grand Teton and that maybe the mountains are not really of this Earth but are the construct of another world.  To me, they flicker in and out of reality.  I have tried to capture that essence of the Teton Peaks with my third quilt for 2014.  I printed a photograph of the Teton Peaks onto fabric, but I only used small parts of that photograph in my quilt to suggest that when one looks at the Tetons, the mountains move into and out of reality, becoming ghostly and ethereal.

Frances
 



3 comments:

  1. Well done Frances - a beautiful quilt. Your idea of using only some of the photo is excellent - especially reading your comments. I've been lucky enough to see these peaks while in Wyoming a couple of years ago and can relate to your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the way you used plain colour to interact with the photographic textiles really adds movement to the piece.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever idea, to use some parts of the photograph, as the others said. Love the unusual colours and the quilting in the green sky!

    ReplyDelete