2017

We move forward from two successful exhibitions in 2016 in Prague and in the USA to the challenge of an exhibition in the Netherlands in the Autumn. We continue to work on A2 sized pieces in portrait format and will be producing four pieces over the year with the theme of 'Freedom'. An essential part of our art is working in series to a common format which does give us all a framework for our creative endeavours.

Tuesday 11 March 2014

Earth Marks - Beaker people

This year I want to work on marks made by early man on the earth, from the incised simple marks on early pottery and caves to the marks made by early peoples and pilgrims as they carved out trails and routes over the planet.

My first piece is based on the pots made by the Beaker people who lived in and around Europe and North Africa around the time of the Bronze age. I used a reference pot from the Lincoln Museum as a starting point for the shape and copied the incised decoration from around the pot surface. I wanted the images of the decoration to appear to 'float' over the surface of the pots, rather than have a more figurative form of decoration on each pot.

As usual, I started with white calico that I dyed and then used Inktense blocks to shape and colour the pots. (I really enjoy working with these blocks, the colour pigment is so good and they fix well to cotton.)
I used transparent fabric paint to colour the incised blocks after stitching around each shape. There is not a huge amount of stitching on the pieces, only the outlines of the pots and the decorative incised shapes, but wanted to have a more 'painterly'effect on this piece.

Jean







1 comment:

  1. I'm going to enjoy your theme for this year's quilts.The form of the pots is very pleasing and the triangular decoration does float, as you wanted. Unusual and interesting colour choice, too. It does look painterly, but I think most of your work does. See you soon. Elaine in grey Combas.

    ReplyDelete